COSC1147 Professional Computing Practice and
COSC2615 Advanced Professional Development
Assignment 1, Semester 1, 2020
This assignment is worth 15% of your final mark and is an individual essay to be uploaded
in Canvas on or before Monday March 30, 2020.
This assignment requires you to write an essay on one of the five topics shown in the following Tasks
section. You will need to write this essay in report form, a template for which is available in Canvas,
as though you were presenting this to your supervisor at work who has asked you to investigate this
task, on his behalf, in relation to all computing employees. The report is to consist of 1500 to 2000
words which include appropriate references to support your claims.
Choose one of the following five topics:
1. The Australian Privacy Act (1988) shares many common requirements with the European Union’s
(EU’s) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), but it doesn’t go far enough to protect the data
privacy of Australian citizens. Discuss the notable differences between the two and what
improvements could be made to the Australian Privacy Act (1988) and why you think these would be
2. The Australian Computer Society’s Code of Professional Conduct states that its list of
requirements as they pertain to the six values of the ethical code “is not exhaustive and should not
be read as a complete definition of acceptable professional conduct in all practical situations”.
Discuss what other requirements could be added and whether or not you consider they should be
3. De George’s (1999, 2010) proposed model to determine when to blow the whistle was developed
for engineers and is only applicable to non-government cases. Discuss how you would modify De
George’s model to make it more applicable to the IT industry and across government cases.
4. Moor (2007) argues that cybertechnology is “logically malleable” and therefore can be used and
misused in an unlimited number of ways. It is for this reason that we need to have an independent
field of applied ethics to guide the new choices enabled by cybertechnology where “policy vacuums”
5. The ethical framework developed by Rainer, Prince, and Cegielski (2014) is a more robust
framework than Moor’s (2004) “Just-consequentialism” framework because it combines the
utilitarian approach, the rights approach, the fairness approach, and the common good approach, as
opposed to just utilitarian and deontological theories. Discuss.
Using the “A1 – Essay and One Argument Template.docx” document, write an essay containing 1,500
– 2,000 words on the topic of your choice. The document contains the following 5 sections:
1. Introduction. Include your thesis statement here.
2. Essay body. Each paragraph in your essay body must pertain to one argument. Do not split one
argument over multiple paragraphs or include more than 3 arguments in a single paragraph. Start
each paragraph with your topic sentence.
3. Conclusion. Summarise the main points of your essay.
4. References. Use only IEEE style for your referencing which should consist of at least 6 journals or
books. You may include extra website references as long as appropriate details are given. RMIT
provides guidance here: https://www.rmit.edu.au/library/study/referencing
5. RMIT provides guidance on essay writing here:
https://emedia.rmit.edu.au/learninglab/content/essays. The information contained on this page
(especially as it pertains to essay writing) has been incorporated into the rubric which will be used to
mark your essay, so it’s important that you consult it.
Introduction: 4 %
Essay body: 6 %
Conclusion: 3 %
References: 1 %
Writing style: 1 %
Total ____ 15 %