BS3589 International Business Logistics
Waters (2007) highlighted 8 different alternative responses a company could have to an identified risk, each best suited to different circumstances:
1. Ignore or accept the risk
2. Reduce the probability of the risk
3. Reduce or limit the consequences
4. Transfer, share or deflect the risk
5. Make contingency plans
6. Adapt to it
7. Oppose a change
8. Move to another environment.
Using a company of your choice:
A) Analyse TWO of the risks your company is likely to be exposed to (a supply risk and a demand risk);
B) Choose ONE of the identified risks and critically assess the adoption of ONE of the above responses as a possible risk management strategy.
• Each student should choose one company (Please e-mail me your choice by 7th of November, 2019).
• An essay of no more than 2000 words (excluding tables, figures and list of references) will need to be submitted before 5th of December, 2019.
The assignment will account for 40% of the final module mark.
Marking criteria (see also document attached)
• The fit with the coursework brief indicates how well you have matched the requirements from the original coursework document.
• Knowledge / Comprehension shows a thorough grasp of the principles, key concepts and theoretical approaches relevant to the subject.
• The quality of your arguments is very important and whether or not your work shows understanding of the topic will be reflected in the overall grade.
• Presentation reflects the effort put into communicating your points effectively, of which printing and font quality are only small parts.
• Reading and Research illustrates the depth of research undertaken. Poor referencing or plagiarism will be strongly penalised.
Note: Each criterion will be assessed on a five point scale – Excellent, Good, OK, Weak and Poor.
Dr. Laura Purvis