ECMM448: Individual Project
Contact: Dr David Acreman (email@example.com)
For this assessment you will research an aspect of the future of High Performance Computing (see
lecture 7.2) and write a 1500-word essay on the subject. This assessment is worth 20% of the
module grade for ECMM448.
Two areas of particular interest at present are the impact of data science and artificial intelligence on High Performance Computing, and the development of the first exa-scale HPC systems.
You are free to choose the exact title of the essay, so you should choose a topic which is relevant
to your interests. There are some suggestions and links below which may help you choose a title:
• Data science and HPC for science:
• The impact of machine learning and artificial intelligence on HPC workflows:
• Computer architectures for deep learning and artificial intelligence:
• Exa-scale computing:
If you would like to discuss your essay title please speak to me at a lecture or workshop, or
contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This assessment is subject to standard University rules on academic conduct and honesty. You can
find the regulations here: http://as.exeter.ac.uk/academic-policy-standards/tqa-manual/
aph/managingacademicmisconduct/. The Essay Marking Criteria are given at the end of this
document. In writing your essay, you should consider the following points:
• Quality of answer: Essay question interpreted correctly and answered well.
• Structure and quality of writing: Clear and articulate. Specialist terminology defined where
appropriate. Proper use of sections, paragraphs and signposting.
• Use of literature: An appropriate range of relevant content from academic journals or other
ECMM448 Individual Project
• Quality of argument: Claims justified by evidence. Conclusions follow from main body of
• Presentation: Consistent font and spacing. Tables/figures of good quality. Correct grammar
and no spelling mistakes.
• Referencing: Clear and consistent throughout.
There are many resources available to help you write a good essay. Academic support on essay- writing is available from ASSET (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/academic-skills-engagement-team/).
They provide several relevant online courses (https://vle.exeter.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=
1850), for example: Essay writing; Presentation skills; Academic honesty and plagiarism; Skills
for referencing; Strategies for reading; Critical reading.
The deliverable for this assessment is a 1500 word essay which is due at 12 noon on 30 April 2020.
• Your essay should be 1500 words (± 10%) in length. References are not included in the word
• You may include diagrams, figures and/or tables if appropriate.
• Your essay needs to be submitted to e-BART
• This essay is worth 20% of the module grade for ECMM448.
EasyDue™ 支持PayPal, AliPay, WechatPay, Taobao等各种付款方式!
E-mail: email@example.com 微信:easydue