COMM 200 FINANCE & FORECASTING ASSIGNMENT S20
5. Consider the changes made by the new manager in January. Overall, do you think the
changes made are in line with MLM’s strategy? Explain why or why not. (5 marks)
Balance Sheet Question (20 marks)
Jake has been operating his farm, State Farm, traditionally since April 2017. At the end of March
2019, he had the following financial data:
Building – Farm house 180,000
Long Term Debt (bonds, due in 20 years) 181,300
Accounts Receivable (due within the year) 1,490
Retained Earnings 15,200
Accumulated Depreciation – Equipment 1,000
Bank Loan ($10,000 payable each year, with
the first $10,000 due March 2020)
Jake State, Capital 128,475
Inventory – Seeds 3,200
Throughout the 2019-20 fiscal year (April 1 2019 – March 31 2020), Jake experienced the
• He collected the outstanding Accounts Receivables of $1,490 in cash.
• He used up all his seed inventory, which he used to plant fruits and vegetables and then
sell to a combination of Farmer’s Market customers and restaurant clients.
• From these sales, he earned $50,000, of which $45,000 was cash and $5,000 was
• Jake had an additional $500 worth of equipment depreciation expense this year.
• As a result of his net income this year, retained earnings increased by $46,300.
• To get ready for next year, Jake purchased another $5,000 of seed inventory using cash.
• At the end of the year, he decided to pay off his entire outstanding bank loan. He used
some of the Farm’s cash for the transaction and paid the rest with his own money. His
outstanding bank loan amounts (current and long-term) are now $0.
• Total assets at the end of the 2020 fiscal year equal $391,275.
Please answer the following questions.
1. Prepare a balance sheet for Jake’s Fiscal 2019 (year ended March 2019). Ensure you
categorize your accounts into Current Assets, Long-Term Assets, Current Liabilities, LongTerm Liabilities, and Owner’s Equity. (5 marks)
2. Using the above events, prepare an updated balance sheet for Jake’s Fiscal 2020 (year ended
March 2020). Hint: to make your balance sheet balance, you will need to calculate the
additional amount of capital Jake contributed to the business to pay off the bank loan, as
well as what portion of that payment was paid with the Farm’s cash. (7 marks)
3. Jake has decided to invest in a new fixed asset – a digital platform for online selling and
online delivery. His organic, locally grown fresh food is in high demand among both
customers and restaurants, and this will help him manage his customers and accounts
receivables better. The new system will cost him an up-front payment of $20,000, so he has
decided to take out a short-term loan with his bank.
Comment on Jake’s overall financial position if he proceeds with this transaction and use
ratio analysis to support your answer. Consider Jake’s current business process and industry.
Should Jake consider alternative means of financing this new system? Explain why or why
not. (8 marks)
Capsim Advanced Forecasting Question (10 marks)
Refer to the FastTrack posted in the Finance & Forecasting Assignment tab on the course
website. Assume you are part of Team Andrews and are responsible for making forecasting
decisions for its product, Able. You are forecasting for Round 3.
Please answer the following questions.
1. Identify the primary segment of the product at the end of Round 2. What was the total
industry unit demand for this segment in Round 2? What will be the total demand for the
segment in Round 3? (2 marks)
2. Using the advanced forecasting method only, what is the worst-case market share that the
product should achieve in Round 3? Calculate the worst-case demand in units for Round 3
using this market share. (4 marks)
3. Are there any factors that make you believe that the worst-case market share calculated in
step 2 is too low, or too high? Identify at least two factors which may have an impact and
explain if each factor should increase or decrease the worst-case market share (you do not
need to specify by how much). (4 marks)
EasyDue™ 支持PayPal, AliPay, WechatPay, Taobao等各种付款方式!
E-mail: email@example.com 微信:easydue