You are required to write about 350 words to express persuasion and emotion when presenting information, ideas, related explanations, discussion/argument, and evaluation in a written proposal.
You should demonstrate that you can organise the given content in order to structure and write effectively and with confidence the following sections of a proposal:
- Recommended proposal: details of the recommended proposal in light of the given conclusions drawn from the investigation
- Implementation: details about how the proposal will be carried out and tactful discussion of follow-up actions that can enhance the chosen option and address possible concerns
- Elaboration on benefits: persuasive and tactful discussion of the benefits of the chosen option
- Conclusion: a brief and positive closing remark that summarises the main idea of the proposal and makes an appeal to the readers to accept the chosen option
You will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Understanding of and appropriate response to the task situation
- Style and register
- Cohesion and fluency
- Range of vocabulary and expressions
- Accuracy in grammar
- The assignment must be typewritten. On the Answer Booklet (MS Word file), fill in the information on p.1 and give your answer from p.2 onwards.
- The assignment must be uploaded onto Moodle on or before the deadline. Please follow the instructions on p. 3 – 6 of this Notes to Students.
- Please be reminded not to copy from any published/online sources without acknowledgement or the work of other students. You should refer to the IVE/HKDI Student Handbook for regulations concerning assessments.
- By submitting this assignment, you confirm that it is entirely your own work and does not involve plagiarism. Students found responsible for violating academic integrity will be penalised.
- Students who fail to complete the quiz before the deadline because of a valid reason must submit the original, relevant documentary evidence to the module teacher within 3 days after the due date.
- Approval/Disapproval of reassessment will be granted by the Head of Language Centre. Upon approval, students can access and complete the quiz according to the instructions of the module teacher.
Task PART 1
You work at Flora Beachfront Hotel, a five-star beach resort on Lantau Island. You are now required to complete a proposal on boosting the hotel’s occupancy during the pandemic.
Read the first three sections of the proposal below to understand the context and situation.
This proposal recommends the most feasible plan to boost the hotel business during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Located on the eastern coast of Lantau Island, Flora Beachfront Hotel is a beach resort famous for its natural surroundings and first-class facilities. Neighbouring many popular tourist attractions including Hong Kong Disneyland, Ngong Ping 360 and the Big Buddha, the hotel has been well-received by tourists and travellers since its establishment in 2005.
According to official year-on-year figures from the annual reports, the occupancy rate has been stable at approximately 80% for more than 14 years. However, the rate has started to drop due to frequent flight cancellations over the past three years. With an average of over 70% vacancy rate recorded amid the outbreak, the hotel has experienced single-digit occupancy in the fourth quarter of 2022, leading to an unprecedented risk of hotel closure. To survive the pandemic, it is essential to switch the business focus to the local market. Providing rooms that feature value-added essentials targeting guests in Hong Kong is believed to be an effective way to increase occupancy and revenue.
It is evident that there is an urgent need for the hotel to come up with the best solution for the change in the business focus. In order to translate this aim into a specific course of action, proposals for enhancing the hotel’s occupancy have been made and investigated.
Three options were initially proposed for immediate investigation:
1. to launch theme-based staycation packages;
2. to offer in-room workout equipment; and
3. to establish a medical hub.
1. Launching theme-based staycation packages
Many hotels offer staycation packages. Yet, theme-based rooms are not common in general. Many guests, especially teenagers and young couples, expressed their preference for featured staycations in a recent survey.
Theme-based rooms would be an option for guests who are looking for something beyond traditional hotel accommodations. Therefore, hotel rooms decorated in different styles with festive themes can attract public attention. This would help the hotel stay popular on social media platforms and gain a higher click-through rate. However, choosing suitable themes would be an issue. The cost of refurbishing the hotel rooms would also be huge.
2. Offering in-room workout equipment
The latest trend in fitness is ……
3. Establishing a medical hub
A medical hub is ……
Task PART 2
Now, read the fourth section of the proposal, the Investigation Conclusions, and your supervisor’s handwritten notes below. Then, you are required to use all of the notes to finish writing the final two sections of the proposal – Recommended Proposal (Implementation; Elaboration on Benefits) and Conclusion in about 350 words in the Answer Book provided. You need to explain why you support the recommended option by elaborating on its benefits. To strengthen your arguments for the chosen option, you are required to expand the given points in the notes with more details. Your answer should demonstrate your ability to communicate your message with subtlety, tact and sensitivity.
EasyDue™ 支持PayPal, AliPay, WechatPay, Taobao等各种付款方式!
E-mail: email@example.com 微信:easydue