Assignment: Use one of the following topics below and write a compare/contrast essay. Remember: the goal of a compare/contrast essay is to show both the pros and cons of each piece, but still persuade the reader which one is better:
- Compare two of the three pieces from the “Monsters: An Album” section of the textbook (Margaret Atwood’s “Lusus Naturae”, Karen Russel’s “St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves”, or Jorge Luis Borges’ “The House of Asterion”) and argue which point-of-view character is the most sympathetic/the least monstrous.
- Compare Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” and “The Cask of Amontillado” and argue which has the most interesting character.
- Double-spaced, with only one space after periods/other punctuation marks. This includes between paragraphs (DO NOT have a triple space, otherwise known as a blank line, between each paragraph)
- 12 point Times New Roman font
- All margins should be 1 inch (2.54 cm) in size
- Essays should always be written in formal, third person language (do NOT use first person or “I”)
- Each paragraph should start with a half-inch indentation (so either adjust your tab settings accordingly, or hit the space bar 5 times)
- There should be a header with your last name and page numbers in the upper right-hand corner including on the first page
- While a proper Works Cited page is required at the end of your document, no title page is necessary. Please follow proper MLA 8 guidelines so that all required information is found at the upper left corner of the first page
- The paper must be submitted in either a .doc, .docx, or .pdf The Review function of Word will be used to provide feedback/overall grading and as such only the following formats will be accepted.
- When submitting your paper using the online portal, please title the file itself either Your Name Essay 2 or Your Name (NOTE: this does not mean the title of your essay should be this, but rather the document title when submitting the .doc/.dox/.pdf).
- Make certain when handing in the assignment that you scroll to the very bottom and click Submit for Grading. Otherwise the assignment will be handed in as a “draft”, and will show up as late/still pending until submitted properly.
Papers should be handed in using the UR Courses Assignments portal before 11:59PM on Friday, October 29th. Papers handed in past this time will be considered late and will receive deductions as stated in the course syllabus.
Your essay must include the following:
- A clear, concise thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph
- Topic sentences that refer back to your thesis statement
- Proof from the story itself to support your argument. This could take the form of either direct or indirect quotations
- Comparing and contrasting of the two different pieces. This means not only both positives and negatives for both pieces, but also what is similar and what is different between the two pieces should be present in your essay
EasyDue™ 支持PayPal, AliPay, WechatPay, Taobao等各种付款方式!
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 微信:easydue