You are asked to write a case study report examining an organization that faced a complex, volatile, uncertain situation or incident and their response to it. The case study should be on a real situation that actually happened. The case can be:
- A positive example of an organisation that responded well and showed the characteristics of a resilient organization
- Most likely, the case selected is a bad example or a case of some sort of organizational failure from a situation or incident that was not well managed and resulted in a lack of recovery and perhaps an outcome such as bankruptcy, accident, fatalities, etc.
- You should not choose a case that has been/will be discussed in class. You will be provided with a list of these restricted cases during the assignment briefing session.
- For this supplementary assignment, you also must choose a DIFFERENT crisis to the one you chose for your original submission. If in doubt here, please email the module leader for advice.
In this piece of work, you are expected to draw on theory to support your analysis of the incident. You should examine what went wrong and why. Were there any weak early signals that might have been spotted? Were there cultural aspects within the organization that stopped problems being reported? Were there more fundamental features of the organization that, perhaps, made the emergence of the risk/uncertainty inevitability? What theories can help explain this? Are there any wider, environmental factors that could help explain the situation in which the organization found itself? What did the organisation do well? Consider all phases of your analysis. In sum, what should we have learned from your paper’s analysis and how did the theoretical frameworks you selected help us understand this crisis better.
You will be awarded marks for explaining the situation and use of theory to help explain what happened and why. Additional marks will be awarded to students who go beyond this and seek to examine the incident in a critical way.
- It should be critical and analytical and not merely constrained to the descriptive level
- Please ensure you read extensively for your assignment, in support of your observations of the process
- You will be expected to read beyond the lecture slides and one or two books – you must show you have developed more insight
- Make sure that all sources are fully referenced using the Harvard system (surname, date, page number if appropriate in the main body, alphabetical listing of references at the end)
Module Learning Outcomes:
In this assessment the following learning outcomes will be covered:
- LO 1. Understand and critique traditional, deterministic risk management approaches and their problems in organizational settings
- LO 2. Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts of organizational reliability and resilience, including underpinning theories and models
- LO 3. Critically appreciate the role of reliability and resilience in supporting organizational sustainability
- LO 4. Analyse and critique reliability and resilience in organizations and understand how organizations can be encouraged to become more resilient
- LO 5. Demonstrate skills in verbal and written communication, team working, and critical analysis
EasyDue™ 支持PayPal, AliPay, WechatPay, Taobao等各种付款方式!
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 微信:easydue